California SB 1383 is a bill that sets goals to reduce disposal of organic waste in landfills, including edible food, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Senate Bill 1383: Edible Food Recovery Requirements for Businesses
Recovering surplus edible food to feed people is not only a great idea, but also a California law, starting January 1, 2022.
What is Senate Bill (SB) 1383?
What does my business need to do to comply?
- Recover Edible Food: Donate the maximum amount of edible food that would otherwise be disposed (e.g., in landfill or compost), so it can be used to feed people instead.
- Contract: Have a contract or written agreement with each food recovery organization or service that picks up or receives edible food from your business. Visit the CalRecycle website to read their Model Food Recovery Agreement to use as a reference when creating your own agreement.
- Track and Report: Maintain a list and copy of all Edible Food Recovery Services and/or Organization’s contracts or agreements that collects or receives food from your business. Maintain a record of the following for each contract or written agreement.
- Name, address, and contact information of the service or organization.
- Types of food that will be collected by or self-hauled to the service or organization.
- The established frequency that food will be collected or self-hauled.
- The pounds of food per month collected or self-hauled to a service or organization for food recovery.
Why recover edible food?
- Save Food: Californians send over 6 million tons of food scraps or food waste to landfills each year, of which almost 1 million tons are potentially donatable, edible food.
- Feed People: Over 9 million Californians (23%) don’t know where their next meal will come from.
- Fight Climate Change: Food that ends up in landfills emits greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change.
When do I need to have my contract in place, and begin recovering food and keeping records?
Tier 1 Businesses: January 1, 2022
- Grocery stores (10,000+ sq. ft.)
- Food service providers
- Food distributors
- Wholesale food vendors
Tier 2 Businesses: January 1, 2024
- Restaurants (≥ 5,000 sq. ft. or 250+ seats)
- Hotels with on-site food facility and 200+ rooms
- Health facilities with on-site food facility and 100+ beds
- Large venues and events
- State agencies with cafeteria (≥ 5,000 sq. ft. or 250+ seats)
- Local education agencies with an on-site food facility
Food that ends up in landfills emits greenhouse gases, contributing to climate change.
How do I get started?
- Make sure the law applies to your business – email [email protected] for technical assistance at no additional cost.
- Understand. Learn more about the requirements. For more information including model contracts, please visit: https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/SLCP/FoodRecovery
- Find a food recovery organization using our list.
- Set up service.
a. Safely collect and store food for pickup or delivery.
b. Record the type, frequency, and pounds of food.
c. Prepare for inspections.
Food Recovery Organization List
|The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano||2370 N Watney Way, Fairfield, CA 94533||855-309-FOOD (3663)||https://www.foodbankccs.org/map-city/vallejo/|
|White Pony Express||3380 Vincent Road #107, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523||(925) 322-0604||https://www.whiteponyexpress.org/|
|Salvation Army of Vallejo||630 Tuolumne Street, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 643-8621||https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/|
|North Bay Foursquare Church||330 Avian Drive, Vallejo, CA, 94591||(707) 554-8232||https://therockca.com/|
|Good Samaritan Baptist Church||407 Capitol Street, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 553-1896||https://www.facebook.com/GSMBCVallejo/|
|Friendship Missionary Baptist Church||1905 Florida Street, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 648-2005||https://befmbc.org/|
|Christian Help Center||2166 Sacramento Street, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 553-8192||http://www.christianhelpcenter.org/|
|Catholic Charities of Yolo-Solano||125 Corporate Place, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 644-8909||https://www.ccyoso.org/|
|Vallejo Nazarene Church||929 Amador Street, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 648-1986||https://www.facebook.com/Vallejo-Nazarene-Church-270933063259561|
|Faith Food Fridays||826 Solano Ave, Vallejo, CA 94590||(707) 273-4465||https://faithfoodfridays.com/|